Friday, June 19, 2009

Slow Cooker Enchiladas

Slow Cooker Enchiladas


1 lb. ground beef
NOT 1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can Rotel
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin (I probably put in 2 T)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 flour tortillas (I used 12 corn because flour swells)
1/3 cup water


In a skillet, cook beef, NOT onion, and green pepper until beef is brown and vegetables are tender (because I omit the onion, I do put in some minced garlic); drain. Add beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine cheeses. In a 5 quart slow cooker, layer about 3/4 cup of beef mixture, 1 tortilla (I used 2), and about 1/3 cup of cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook onlow for 5-7 hours or until heated through.


Mine did dry out around the edges at about 7 hours. I took a chance and added some water to add moisture back into it and it worked well. I was worried that I added too much, but it returned the moisture perfectly and wasn't soupy disaster like I thought might happen!


We liked this one and my mother-in-law asked for the recipe! She thought it was delish!

2 comments:

  1. Sent Phillip to the store today to get the ingredents for this. We will be having Enchiladas on Friday! I'm so excited to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. made it, ate it, and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete