Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Filet Mignon, Baked Pepper-Cheese Squash, and Grilled Peaches

Baked Pepper-Cheese Squash

2 pounds summer squash
8 slices bacon
NOT 1 large onion
8 ounces shredded jalapeno or pepper jack cheese
1/2 to 1 cup dried bread crumbs

Start bacon frying. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Boil squash until tender (I sliced, then steamed mine). Fry bacon until crisp and remove from pan. DON'T peel onion and slice into rings. DON'T brown onion in a portion of the bacon drippings. Crumble bacon.

In 9x9 inch baking dish, layer half of squash (since I didn't brown onions in bacon drippings, I drizzled a little of the bacon drippings over the squash as I layered), then bacon, NOT onion, then cheese. Repeat layers and top with bread crumbs. Bake 40 minutes.

(Serves 10--I halved this one, kinda)
(From Texas Co-op Power Magazine--May 2009)


Grilled Peaches

6 peaches, halved, with stones removed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
vanilla ice cream

Sprinkle cut side of peach half with cinnamon. (My peaches were pretty firm and not terribly sweet, so I used cinnamon and sugar for this step.)

Arrange peaches cut side down on medium high grill rack (or basket). Grill 3-5 minutes on each side. Top each half with a small scoop of ice cream (and maybe a sprinkle or two of cinnamon and sugar)!

No comments:

Post a Comment