Friday, July 6, 2012

Granny Smith & Blue Cheese Salad with Spinach and Pomegranate Vinaigrette

First of all, let me say that since I made this recipe for the first time last week, I've eaten it 5 times.  Actually had to make two yesterday because my 6 year old thought it looked yummy.  Believe me, I wanted to say no....I was SO ready to eat this salad, but I gave him my bowl and made another one while he gobbled it up!  It's so good!!  I found it in Food Network Magazine, thank you Bobby Flay (October 2011) a while back and it's a huge hit--so many fabulous textures and flavor combinations!

From the original recipe, I cut it back to make a large, personal sized salad.

1 granny smith apple, sliced and diced into bite sized pieces
a handful of spinach leaves, cut with scissors
a handful of walnuts, toasted
a generous sprinkle of blue cheese crumbles

Layer as you go, in that order.  I love the way the blue cheese gets a little melty on the walnuts (could also used sliced almonds, I've done that too because I ATE all of the walnuts!) and the way the pomegranate dressing sizzles when you pour it on.

Pomegranate Vinaigrette

3 T pomegranate molasses (I used a pomegranate infused red wine vinegar instead)
2 T red wine vinegar (and none of this!)
1 T dijon mustard
1 T honey
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (I use less)

I eyeball this and don't measure a thing....mostly vinegar, a squeeze of mustard, a squeeze of honey, and some olive oil.  Shake it up in a little mason jar and pour it on your salad (and enjoy the sizzle with me).

Oh my goodness.  You'll want another bowl.  I did!!


No comments:

Post a Comment