Friday, July 6, 2012

Banana Ice Cream with Peanut Butter and Cocoa Powder

Another Pinterest find, this one.  Who would've thought you could make ice cream from bananas, cocoa powder, and peanut butter?  Not me, but I'm sure glad The Kitchn did!!

I'm no ice cream fanatic, but my husband sure is....Rocky Road is a food group.  We've gotten better (read:  older and heavier) at not eating it every night like we did 10 years ago too, thankfully!

Warning:  You have to freeze the bananas for about 2 hours prior to making.

Banana "Ice Cream"
The Kitchn

5 bananas (probably served 6 single serving amounts, with a little extra)
1-2 T peanut butter (if you like)
1-2 T cocoa powder (if you like)

Peel and slice those bananas and put them on a plate in the freezer (yes, I had to rearrange to make room for that).  Leave them in about 2 hours (max!) otherwise you'll have to let them thaw for a while in your blender (ahem...trust me, I speak from experience).

Toss them in the blender and let it get pebbly, then creamy.  You'll be doing alot of pushing down on the sides, too. (Or maybe that was because mine stayed in the freezer too long.)

Add your peanut butter and cocoa powder to taste.  Alot of peanut butter and a little chocolate?  Alot of chocolate and no peanut butter?  Alot of BOTH?  Go for it, make it yours!

Add strawberries instead!  Blueberries, peaches, whatever. I'll try it!

I mixed it up, took some out to the boys playing baseball in the street.  Everyone loved it and gobbled it up.  Even a neighbor who doesn't like sweets (WHAT is wrong with him?) liked it and said I should bottle it up and sell it!  My husband (the Rocky Road guy) says we should add some marshmallows and almonds to it.  Fantastic idea!!

This is the only prep photo I took.


And I have a few "after" shots.  Proof that it was delicious indeed!  Try it at your house, make it your way!





No comments:

Post a Comment