Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Crockpot Sloppy Joes

I've never been a fan of crockpot cooking, really. This summer changed my mind. It would be so much cooler, smarter, not to mention economical to use this thing as often as possible. I'm going to try to start incorporating crockpot meals more often!

This one's for my Babe--I never really liked Sloppy Joes because they have onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers. 3 things I don't care for at all. Russ doesn't like onions or bell pepper, but loves these--go figure! He loves these.

Riley called them Sl'Joey's too--we kept asking him what we were eating. Too cute!

Crockpot Sloppy Joes

2 pounds lean ground beef (I halved for the 3 of us)
NOT 1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup ketchup
1/2 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 T Worcestershire sauce
3 T brown sugar
2 T mustard
2 T cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
hamburger buns

In heavy skillet, brown ground beef with garlic and NO onion. Drain of excess fat.

Combine ketchup, bell pepper, Worcestershire, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and chili powder in slow cooker. Stir in ground beef mixture. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours. Serve spooned over hamburger buns.

I served with tater tots and some leftover grilled veggies.

I like mine with pickle slices. Russ likes his open faced with picante sauce poured on top. Riley wanted a slice of cheese on his and proceeded to dip it in ketchup (for his tots) and then Ranch (for his veggies)!

I didn't think it needed to be cooked near 5-7 hours, but maybe that was because I only halved the ground beef. I wouldn't leave this one while you're gone for the day at work. Keep an eye on it...try it on a Saturday!

(NO photos! These weren't photogenic AT ALL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment