Monday, February 6, 2012

Chicken Tamale Casserole

I'm pretty sure I've made this before, but my hubby really went on and on about how great it was this time AND proceeded to have thirds!!  He even went so far as to say, "I could eat the whole pan of this!"  Well, clearly I need to make this one again.  Anything with Jiffy corn muffin mix HAS to be good, right?  :-)

Chicken Tamale Casserole

1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 tsp. cumin (I always use more cumin than a recipe calls for)
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 can cream corn
1 box corn muffin mix (I use Jiffy)
1 can chopped green chiles
cooking spray
1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
**I added a can of drained and rinsed black beans**
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine 1/4 cup cheese, egg, cumin, red pepper, corn, muffin mix, and green chiles in large bowl, stirring just until moist.  Pour mixture into 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until set.  Pierce entire surface liberally with fork;  pour enchilada sauce on top.  Top with chicken and black beans**; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.  Bake for 15 minutes more, or until cheese melts.  Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes.  Cut into squares and serve with sour cream (I like to mix it with whatever salsa I have in the fridge).

(Serves 8)

(Cooking Light, November 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment