Thursday, September 3, 2009

Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas

These are delicious, I highly recommend!

Chicken and Summer Vegetable Tostadas

1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. canola oil
12 ounces chicken breast tenders (I cut mine into bite-sized pieces, so if you do that, you could use breasts too)
NOT 1 cup chopped red oinion (about 1)
1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears) *I used frozen and added extra of each veggie since I omitted the onion
1 cup chopped zucchini
(I also added 1 cup of chopped yellow squash!)
1/2 cup green salsa (I used Central Market's Hatch Green Chile salsa--yum!)
3 T chopped fresh cilantro, divided
4 fat free flour tortillas *(I just couldn't imagine these tacos in a flour tortilla, so I used corn. They fell apart, of course! I recommend doubling the corn tortillas for each taco--not a guarantee it won't break, but it helped!)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat broiler. (not if you're using corn, just sprinkle them with water and warm them up in microwave if you don't have a tortilla warmer)

Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring well. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over chicken. Add chicken to pan; saute for 3 minutes. Don't add onion! Add corn zucchini, (and squash) to pan; saute for 2 minutes or until chicken is done. Stir in salsa and 2 T cilantro. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring frequently.


Working with 2 tortillas at a time, arrange tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet; lightly coat them with cooking spray. Broil 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture into center of each tortilla; sprinkle each serving with cheese. Broil an additional 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Sprinkle each with cilantro and serve immediately.

*I used the chicken and veggie mixture as a taco filling and just made tacos. No broiling necessary!!


These are great--and I honestly think the corn tortillas make it...and the cheese and sour cream, of course! I served with Spanish rice and black beans.

(Serves 4...but with what I added, would've served at least 6)
(Cooking Light, August 2006)

No comments:

Post a Comment