Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 16, 2009

I tried to take advantage of the wet cool day we had today, so I could make soup. It may be my last chance. Hope not!

Tortilla Soup


1 T olive oil
NOT 1 cup chopped onion
1 t. minced garlic (I used 3 because I omitted the onion)
2 T fajita seasoning (or salt, pepper, garlic)
2 1/4 cups water
2 15 oz cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed (I used one pinto, one black)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained (This was way too much chunky tomato for Russ and I. Next time I'll use crushed)
1 14 oz can low sodium chicken broth
2 4 oz cans chopped green chiles
3 T fresh lime juice
Cheese (for topping)
Tortilla chips (for topping)

Heat the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add fajita seasoning and cook 1 minute. Stir in water, beans, tomatoes, broth, and chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Top each serving with cheese and chips.

This wasn't my favorite tortilla soup recipe, but it was the quickest...and it's stuff I keep in my pantry, so I'll definitely keep this one.

(Cooking Light, October 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment