Sunday, June 6, 2010

Slow Cooker Pizza

Hopefully I'm back!  Instead of trying to catch up all of the recipes from the past, I'm starting with the here and now.  I planned for this based on the 103 degree forecast we had, but it ended up being not quite that warm, thank goodness.  This was a hit with the big little one and he asked for a shot of the "white stuff that goes on my salad" in it.  I'll never tell him that in high school we dipped every bite of pizza we ate in that white stuff.

Slow Cooker Pizza

1 16 oz pkg wide egg noodles
1 1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey (I used 1 lb)
NOT 1/4 cup chopped onion (I used garlic)
1 26 oz jar spaghetti sauce
1 jar sliced mushrooms (I don't like mushrooms in a jar so much, I would've preferred to use fresh, but didn't have any, so I threw in a can of sliced black olives in to substitute)
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 3 1/2 oz pkg. sliced pepperoni, halved
3 cups shreeded mozzarella cheese
3 cups shredded cheddar (I didn't use cheddar at all and certainly didn't use 6 cups mozzarella!  I'd even top it with some Parmesan)

Cook noodles according to package directions.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and NO onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in the spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning.  Drain noodles.

In 5 qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray, spread 1/3 of meat sauce.  Cover with 1/3 of noodles and pepperoni.  Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.  Repeat layers twice.  Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Another slow cooker recipe I wouldn't cook on a weekday when I had to go to work.  There isn't enough liquid.  Great for a Saturday when  you're outside doing yardwork or running errands.

(Made a TON, recipe says serves 6-8...we may eat it for a week!)
(Taste of Home Magazine)

1 comment:

  1. I am going to give this one a try! Sounds yummy! I am also planning on preparing buttered chicken next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete