Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mexican Meatball Soup

I wanted this to be delicious.  It sound like something we'd enjoy, but with a twist. 

Mexican Meatball Soup

1 T cooking oil
NOT 1 small red onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
1 zucchini cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 1/4 tsp dried oregano or 2 T chopped fresh
1/2 tsp. cumin (I love cumin and always use more than a recipe calls for!)
1 quart chicken broth
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups drained canned diced tomatoes
1 3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 pound ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 T dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten to mix
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 T lime juice

In large pot, heat oil over moderately low heat.  Do NOT add onion.  Add half of jalapenos and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.  Add zucchini, 1 1/2 tsp. of oregano, and 1/4 tsp. of cuin and cook, stirring until zucchini starts to soften, about 3 minutes.

Add broth, water, tomatoes, 1 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper; bring to a simmer.  Simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine ground beef, garlic, remaining jalapeno, 1/4 tsp. cumin, 3/4 tsp. dried oregano (or 1 T of fresh), 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper, bread crumbs, and egg.  Shape mixture into 24 meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter.

Add meatballs and corn to soup and simmer until meatballs are just done, about 5 minutes.  Stir in lime juice and the remaining fresh oregano, if using.

(Serves 4)
(Food and Wine cookbook)

Okay, so I liked it.  It was okay.  My husband liked it more than I did, I think.  This recipe defininitely has potential, but I think it's needs a little more spunk for me.  Seemed a little bland (maybe I didn't put enough cumin in there!). 

Try it....I'm accepting suggestions!!

1 comment: