Friday, June 15, 2012

Broiled Grapefruit

My oldest has always loved grapefruit!  When he was 2, he started asking for them and eating an entire grapefruit (and sometimes even two) for a snack.  I'd halve it, section it, and sprinkle a little sugar on top, just like my mom did for me when I was young.  I was surprised that Riley liked them so much....they are delicious, but a 2 year old?  

When I saw this, I assumed we'd both love it.  Grapefruit+Creme Brulee, right?  Had to be fantastic!!!  This time I just made them for me because he just wanted them the usual way.  After tasting mine though, he did love it and said that next time he wanted his broiled.

Broiled Grapefruit

2 large grapefruits, well chilled
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 small fresh mint sprigs 

Preheat a broiler.

Cut each grapefruit in half.  Section grapefruit and place in baking dish.


In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Using your fingers, sprinkle the sugar mixture evenly over the grapefruit halves. Slip under the broiler about 4 inches from the heat source and broil until the sugar is uniformly bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes.


(www.williamssonoma.com)
(Recipe states "Serves 4" but we eat more than 1/2 a grapefruit around here, so I say it serves 2!)

No comments:

Post a Comment