Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon and Apple Cinnamon Acorn Squash

This is only the 2nd time I've made salmon. Because it's not my favorite fish (I prefer a little less fishy) and my hubby says he doesn't really like it either. Trying to add new, healthy things to our diet, I found a few recipes I've wanted to try and so far, so good! I'm 2 for 2 on the good salmon dishes--and the best part is that Riley has enjoyed them too!!

Riley's plate (and I'm proud to say he ate every bite):

Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon
1 T brown sugar
2 tsp. butter
1 tsp. honey
1 T olive oil
1 T Dijon mustard
1 T soy sauce
1/4-3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 salmon fillet (2 1/2 lbs) (I probably bought a 1 lb. fillet for the 3 of us)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the brown sugar, butter, and honey until melted. Remove from heat; whisk in the oil, mustard, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Cool for 5 minutes.

Place salmon in a large foil-lined baking pan; brush with brown sugar mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minurwa oe until fish flakes easily with a fork.

(Serves 8)
(Taste of Home, December/January 2009)


Apple-Cinnamon Acorn Squash

2 pound acorn squash, about 1 large
1 T reduced calorie margarine
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Trim ends of unpeeled squash, cut in half, and remove and discard seeds and fibers. Slice each half into four 1/2-inch thick slices.

Melt margarine in large, nonstick skillet. Add apple juice and cinnamon; mix well. Add squash and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn squash slices over, cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 10 minutes more.

(Serves 4)

I served it up with some edamame too--we needed something besides the squash skin that was green on our plates! The glazes on the salmon and the acorn squash complemented each other very well. You can really taste the apple juice in the squash. I thought it would be just a hint, but ended up being more flavorful than I expected.
I am so proud when I can make something we don't love into something we do!

2 comments:

  1. Try grilling the salmon on cedar planks! Oh my is that delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salmon looks delicious and I must try it! I'm new here and will be back for more great recipes!

    ReplyDelete